Friday, January 11, 2013

Can't Believe I am Here!

11 years ago, I became very sick with unexplained stomach pain.  I spent the next year in and out of hospitals & doctor visits attempting to determine what was going on with my body.  I was on daily pain killers and my doctor wanted to take me out of gym.  I fought hard to be able to stay in color guard after finally getting my parents to allow me in color guard for the first time.  My doctors note allowed me to walk & stretch.  My routines in guard had to be altered to stay within those bounds.  In order to receive my gym credit for the year, I walked the track on nice days or did lots of research on various sports.
I was finally diagnosed with visceral migraines and put on a medication with a side effect of weight gain.  After already stopping most physical activity and starting this medication, I gained 80 lbs over the next 3 years.  Taking the medication made it so I could get through my day, but I still wasn't able to be active.  
I lost my health insurance shortly after my 20th birthday and wasn't able to continue to take the medication.  I continued to be very careful about how much I moved and tried taking care of my body as much as possible to reduce any possibility of pain.  
In 2008, my parents 'dragged' me out on to the dance floor at a party we were at.  We were all having a great time until pain in my stomach had me bent in half and crying.  My first visceral migraine since high school.  Again, I started taking care of my body and trying to stop the pain.
In 2011, after purchasing Wii Fit, I discovered I was at an all time high weight and was sickened by it.  I decided to slowly start exercising, being careful to not stress my stomach if at all possible.
In 2012, I started jogging, doing crunches, burpees, push ups.
In 2013, I am continuing to break through barriers and push myself farther than ever before.  I am amazed at what my body is allowing me to accomplish!!!  I haven't felt this good in years!!!
Next week, I will be joining a gym!
In April, I will finish my first 10k race!

No matter the circumstance, never give up and keep fighting because the day will come when you will be victorious!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment